shop   |   eNews   |   find a trail
Share this page:

Welcome to RTC's Forums!

rated by 0 users
This post has 10 Replies | 8 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 296

Stephen Miller (RTC) Posted: Tue, Nov 10 2009 3:51 PM

Welcome, and thank you for participating! Please introduce yourself and your trail project by hitting "reply" above - let's get to know each other a little better.

Please also take a second to answer our poll question - then be sure to explore all that RTC's Forums have to offer by posting your own questions and experience. Don't forget to utilize all of the other resources of the Urban Pathways Initiative.

Happy trails,

Stephen Miller
Urban Pathways Coordinator
Rails-to-Trails Conservancy
http://www.railstotrails.org/urbanpathways

The forums are new - if you encounter any bugs, please let me know - stephen (at) railstotrails.org. Thanks!

How would you describe the area surrounding your trail?

• Major City (55.6%)
  • Medium City (33.3%)
  • Small City (0%)
  • Town (0%)
  • Suburban (0%)
  • Rural (11.1%)
You voted for 'Major City'.
  • Total Votes: 9
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 1

Thank you for the opportunity to join the discussion.  I live in the Tysons Corner area of Fairfax County in northern Virginia.  I am a representative on the county Transportation Advisory Commission which provides citizen guidance to the county Board of Supervisors.  I have also spearheaded an effort to create a network of multi-purpose trails connecting various local parks , neighborhoods and amenities including Wolf Trap National Park for the performing arts, the W&OD Trail, Meadowlark Botanical Garden.  I will be involved in a process to connect the local community to the new Metro stations being constructed in Tysons Corner and welcome any advice we can get from others around the country who have experience in urban trail planning.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2

Hello urban trail members!  My name is Greg Bakos and I am a transportation engineer practicing in northern New England.  I have been involved with bike/ped planning and design for over 20 years and have been employed by VHB, Inc since 1983.  I am privileged to be involved with several trail groups and have active planning and design projects in NH and VT, the longest of which is the 93 mile Lamoille Valley Rail Trail that crosses northern VT.  My most urban trail work is in Manchester, NH, where I am a senior member of an outstanding trail advocacy group by the name of Manchester Moves.  We are advancing rail trails on several fronts since Manchester is a historic hub for rail lines emanating in four directions from the urban core.   I expect many of my questions and replies will come from our experiences on those trails.  I look forward to participating in this forum.   -Greg

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2

Hi Jennifer,  I read your post and wanted to introduce myself and our company, VHB, Inc since we have an office in Tysons Corner.  Please check out VHB.com for more info on the firm and the office location.   I also wanted to extend that we have a deep field of transportation planners and engineers, and within that group we have experts in bike, ped and transit.   Please let me know if I can help you through this forum, or if I can connect you with our planning and design professionals in Tysons.  Welcome and best of luck.  -Greg

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1

I am the Executive Director of Groundwork Trust Anacostia River DC, Inc, a not-for-profit organization located in Washington, DC.   Groundwork Trust Anacostia is part of a national network of organizations referred to as groundwork trusts.  The national network is GroundworkUSA and is a sponsored program of the EPA brownfields office and is administered through the NPS Rivers and Trails Conservation Assistance program (RTCA).   Groundwork Anacostia recently installed a trail in a neighborhood in Washington, DC on some vacant NPS land that connects a trail in a DC owned park to the NPS Fort Circle National Historic Trail.  Our contact at NPS referred me to RTC and the Urban Pathways Initiative.  Groundwork Anacostia is interested in further improvement to the Fort Circle Trail system, how we can access information and resources to help accomplish this, and engaging in the creation of trails and walkability for the citizens of Washington, DC.  We support the goals of RTC and want to learn more about the Urban Pathways Initiative.

Happy trails,

Dennis Chestnut

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 296

Hi Dennis,

Great to hear about your work. Good to hear from someone just across town here in DC!

I encourage you - and anyone else working on urban pathway projects - to sign up for the conference RTC is hosting Feb. 25-26 in New Orleans to meet with folks working on similar projects. The full details - including scholarship opportunities to cover travel and lodging costs - are available at www.railstotrails.org/urbanpathways.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1

Hi, I'm Michael Yeosock, a engineer with the Norwalk, CT Department of Public Works and am currently working on developing on-road and off-road trails within the City.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1

I am a member of the Hyattsville Bikers United, the Mount Rainier Bike Co-op and a member of the Board of Directors of the International Human Powered Vehicle Association, an international record keeping group of volunteers.  We certify land, water and air records for human powered vehicles. 

As I ride a fair amount, I'm interested in building more connectivity among our urban neighborhoods and between urban zones.  The East Coast Greenway and the American Discovery Trail both pass through Hyattsville, and form the basis for a great beginning.  Specifically I have been advocating for the Trolley Trail which will follow the routeof the old 82 DC Trolley (I always wondered about the numbering system for the local Metrobus).  I have been maintaining a portion of this right of way for a few years now, and it functions as a single track bike/ped route.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1

Hello RTC!! My name is Greg Shaddock, I am a recent graduate of Appalachian State's Sustainable Development program.  I stumbled upon this NGO and thought how great of an idea it was...I received a B.S. in Community, Regional, and Global Sustainable Development and have done some local trail work on the Appalachian Trail, Blue Ridge Parkway, and a couple state parks here around Boone, NC.  I have a strong interest in creating and preserving our trails around our nation (and the world).  It's great to see an organization devote themselves to the (re)creation of trails and promoting the importance of these trails in urban settings.  I grew up in Toronto, Canada and Charlotte, NC so I find that to be an amazing approach. Working within an urban setting to create more nature pathways, nothing more than genius! Keep up the fantastic work! Maybe I'll be able to help you guys out and join your movement someday!! Cheers! Greg Shaddock.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1

Hi. I'm Debbie and have been working with a small, but motivated group of people to build a multi-use, paved trail on the southside of Chicago called the Calumet-Sag trail. Our group is at a sort of crossroads.  Although we are a motivated group, many of us don't have the knowledge, connections or training to really take this group to the next level to make this trail happen.  What I would like to know is what kind of training, seminars, conferences are available that would help us with fundraising, building a larger volunteer base, getting major media attention, etc., to move this trail forward and get it built and people using it.

Debbie 

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 1

Hi Stephen.

My name is Achille Bianchi and I work for a new news and community website based around transportation alternatives in Southeastern Michigan. I am officially the community manager of the site and I will also be doing various reported stories and photo essays. Looking forward to making a partnership!

The project is called 'Mode Shift: Moving Together' and we should have our hard launch sometime in the Spring 2012. We'll keep you updated. 

Thanks so much!

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS

Rails-to-Trails Conservancy
The Duke Ellington Building
2121 Ward Ct., NW
5th Floor
Washington, DC 20037
+1-202-331-9696